The Best Shower Filter Of 2014

The Best Shower Filters Of 2013

In A Nutshell

1. Overall, the best option is to get a whole house filter, if your budget allows it. A whole house filter costs $600-$1200 plus installation.
  2. If you want to remove both chloramines and chlorine from your shower, I recommend getting a handheld version of the Sonaki showerhead.
  3. If you don’t want a handheld showerhead, your best option is to get a Vitashower SF-1. The quality of this filter isn’t great, but it is currently the only in-line chloramine-removing filter available.
  4. If you only need to remove only free chlorine and other impurities from your water, I recommend getting a Sprite HOB-CM Brass Shower Filter, which is NSF Certified to standard #177 for shower filtration. You can also use both filters in tandem on one shower head (I do this myself).

I’ve been reviewing the best shower filters on MetaEfficient for about six years. It appears that there are no other independent reviewers of shower filters posting online. The only review sites I’ve seen are those like WaterFilterComparisons.Com which is run by an Aquasana filter supplier (as mentioned on their About Us page).

Personally, I would recommend a Sprite filter followed by a Vitashower SF-1. Unfortunately, the build quality of the Vitashower SF-1 is not good, but it is the only in-line Vitamin C filter available currently. You could also opt for a Sprite filter followed by a handheld version of the Sonaki showerhead.

Why Filter Your Shower?

Because your skin absorbs substances while showering. Typically, 60% of the chlorine that most people absorb daily comes from showering in chlorinated water. Chlorine damages your hair and skin  – you can read about the hazards of showering in chlorinated water here. Shower water also contains things like heavy metals and VOCs (volatile organic compounds). Ideally, all these things should all be filtered out, but filtering water at the shower head is problematic, because the water is typically hot and under high pressure, making filtration difficult. So realistically, you can only hope to filter the chlorine and low percentage of the other contaminants from your shower water.

Here are the details on my recommended shower filters:

Vitamin C Shower Filter

Vitamin C shower filters remove 99% of free chlorine and 99% of chloramines from shower water. Chloramine or NH2Cl  (a combination of chlorine and ammonia) is now commonly being used in place of chlorine for disinfection, but chloramine is not easily removed from water. Carbon filters are virtually useless in showers, because they do not work when the water is warm, and they also get clogged fairly quickly. KDF filters also don’t perform well in hot water, and they don’t remove chloramines. However, Vitamin C filters can remove 99% of the chloramines from water. To back this up, the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission now states on their website that only Vitamin C can be used to remove chlormaines from municipal water. Here is the quote from the Commission:

Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) has recently been included in AWWA Standard (AWWA, 2005b) as one of the methods for dechlorination of disinfected water mains. SFPUC and other utilities have used Vitamin C for dechlorination prior to environmental discharges of chlorinated and chloraminated water. Since ascorbic acid is weakly acidic, the pH of water may decrease slightly (Tikkanen et al., 2001). Ascorbic acid has been used for a long time as one of the dechlorinating agents for preservation of chlorinated or chloraminated water samples for laboratory analysis.

The full document can be found here.

Vitamin C filters are simple in design — they contain a solid block of Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), and water runs through the filter and comes into contact with the Vitamin C. The Vitamin C neutralizes about 99% of the chlorine and chloramines in the water, and their effectiveness does not diminish until the Vitamin C is completely used up.

Previously, my recommendation for a Vitamin C showerhead was the Sonaki VitaMax Vitamin C In-Line Filter, but this product has been discontinued. There are two similar filters on the market — the handheld version of the Sonaki showerhead, and the Vitashower SF-1 (which is great if you get a non-defective unit).

The filters last about 2-4 months before they need replacing, depending on how many showers you take. The filter is transparent, so you can see when the Vitamin C has run out.

Refills for the Sonaki filters are priced at $50 for 5 filters. You can buy them at Amazon or directly from Sonaki.

Sprite HOB-CM Brass Shower Filter

If you are just interested in removing free chlorine and sediment from your water, my recommendation is to use a Sprite HOB-CM Brass Shower Filter. This filter is NSF Certified to standard #177 for shower filtration. It removes most free chlorine and some combined chlorine, sediment, hydrogen sulfide, iron oxide. Besides the fact that it does not remove chloramines, this is a quality filter, and it is constructed with brass instead of the usual plastic.

The filter comes with a one year warranty, it is rated to filter 20,000 gallons or last 12 months, which ever comes first. It should be flipped half-way through the year. If the O-ring on the filter breaks, Sprite will replace it for free.

You can get the Sprite HOB-CM Brass Shower Filter on Amazon for around $51.

See also my review of low-flow shower heads – these shower heads can be used in conjunction with these filters.

Comments

1. peninsulagirl says

How did you install the two shower filters in tandem on one shower head? How did you prevent a significant decrease in water pressure?

A second filter with carbon is an inspired idea with the vitamin C filter because chloramine causes lead solder in indoor plumbing to leach into shower and drinking water. Chloramine is a very bad, short-sighted idea IMO. Bladder cancer rates are higher in regions back east where chloramine has been used for as a water disinfectant for several years.

2. master says

I installed the Sprite Shower Filter as normal on my shower. I then attached the Sonaki Vitamin C filter to the outlet of the Sprite filter. It’s pretty straightforward, and its been working for about a year now! I didn’t notice any change in water pressure, perhaps because I’m also using a self-pressurizing Oxygenics SkinCare Showerhead. See my review of these showerheads here.

• Lori says

When I click on your link for the Oxygenics SkinCare Showerhead, it brings me to Amazon where the photo of the shower head is not the same your shower head. Is this because you have an older model that is no longer available? Thanks!

• Lori says

I looked at the Sprite Shower Filter link you provided and it shows a silver chrome filter but I don’t see it in the photo of your shower set up. Your photo shows what looks like a white object attached to your shower pipe/arm and then attached to the white object is the Sonaki Vitamin C VitaMax filter and then the Oxygenics showerhead. Just want to make sure I get the right Sprite filter. I currently use the Sprite All In One filter but want to replace that with the Sprite filter and Sonaki VitaMax filter. Thanks for your assistance.

• master says

Sorry for the confusion. That older showerhead is not a Oxygenics showerhead (it’s an EarthMassage), but I have a similar set-up in my other shower with an Oxygenics, and it works well.

• Joe says

I read that Vitamin C (a weak acid) reacts with chloramine to form HCl (a strong acid). It doesn’t seem to me that HCl in my water would be preferable to chloramines. Does anybody have info on the chemistry? I wrote to Sonaki but did not receive a reply.

Also, I have the Sonaki Vit C filter and did not notice a difference in my water. When the Vit C ran out and I removed it, it appears to me that the filter is a closed system- that the water runs in but I’m not sure how it comes out again. The holes are very tiny so the entire volume of water coming through the shower line couldn’t possibly be passing through those tiny holes. I think the chamber fills with water and in time dissolves all the Vitamin C and simply stays there. I don’t think it’s treating the color amines at all! Have you tested the water for chloramines, before and after?

• master says

Vitamin-C (which is ascorbic acid) does form an acid in the process of neutralizing chlorine and chloramine, but it is a very weak and mild acid. Moreover, hydrochloric acid is found in all chlorinated water — it is a byproduct of chlorine disinfection and generally occurs in concentrations too low to be of any concern.

In regards to your assertion on chloramine removal:

For decades, Vitamin C has been used to remove chloramines from water. This is from the from the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission:

Q: Is it necessary to remove disinfectants from drinking water in a home setting?
        A: No, chlorinated and chloraminated water is safe for people and animals to drink, and for all other general uses including bathing. EPA believes that drinking water disinfected with monochloramine that meets regulatory standards is safe to use and it does not need to be removed. (USEPA, 2009) The removal of either chlorine or chloramine from drinking water is not necessary for public health but some customers may elect to do so for common household purposes based on personal preference.

Chloramine is not a persistent disinfectant and decomposes easily from a chemistry point of view (Valentine et al, 1998) but for water supply purposes chloramine is stable and it takes days to dissipate in the absence of substances exerting chlora
        mine demand (Wilczak et al., 2003b). Therefore, it is not practical to remove chloramine by letting an open container of water stand because it may take days for chloramine to dissipate.
        However, chloramine is very easily and almost instantaneously removed by preparing a cup of tea or coffee, preparing food (e.g., making a soup with a chicken stock). Adding fruit to a water pitcher (e.g., slicing peeled orange into a 1-gal water pitcher) will neutralize chloramine within 30 minutes. If desired, chloramine and ammonia can be completely removed from the water by boiling; however, it will take 20 minutes of gentle boil to do that. Just a short boil of water to
        prepare tea or coffee removed about 30% of chloramine. Conversely, chlorine was not as consistently removed by boiling in SFPUC tests. If desired, both chlorine and chloramine can be removed for drinking water purposes by an activated carbon filter point of use device that can be installed on a kitchen faucet. If desired, both chlorine and chloramine can be removed for bathing purposes by dissolving Vitamin C in the bathwater (1000 mg Vitamin C tablet will neutralize chloramine in an average bathtub). SFPUC doesnot recommend that customers remove disinfectants from drinking water. Customers desiring todo so should consult with their physician.

• CT says

“If desired, both chlorine and chloramine can be removed for bathing purposes by dissolving Vitamin C in the bathwater (1000 mg Vitamin C tablet will neutralize chloramine in an average bathtub).”

That’s the problem isn’t it? If 1g of Vitamin C is needed for a bathtub, how much C is needed to make a shower filter that will more than a few showers? Also, it doesn’t say how much is removed. The report seems to think that a 30% reduction in a cup of tea is a great thing. But in our testing at least 70% removal is needed for an effect on topical eczema.

Lastly, as you pointed out, Vit C does not remove the disinfection byproducts, agricultural and industrial chemicals present in most tap water. Still need carbon for that.

• master says

The Vitamin C shower filters have been tested to remove 100% of the chlorine. I don’t have the reference for that right here, but if you go to their websites, you’ll find it.

I recommend using the ball-style bath filters in conjunction with the vitamin C, to remove some of the other contaminants in the water.

3. jnls says

Seems that everyone is sold out of the Sonaki Vit. C filter because it is being changed (says their website).
    Do you have a second suggestion that serves the same purpose?

4. katemadsen says

Hello,

I would like to install the Sprite filter with the handheld version of the Vitamin C filter…is it possible and how would I do that?

Thank you.

• master says

Yes, I believe it is. You can install the Sprite filter first, and then install the handheld Vitamin C filter to the Sprite filter. I have never tested this setup though :-)

Justin

5. curlygirl77 says

Now what if someone purchased the vitamin c water filter and they have color treated hair. Would the vitamin c weaken the color/remove it at a faster rate? I look forward to your reply.

6. d_amethyst says

So I got the Sprite HOB-CM Brass Shower Filter and love it and now want to get one for my kids shower which is a hand-held. I see that Sprite has a hand-held version of this filter. My question is which would be better. Getting the regular Sprite shower filter and attaching it with my current hand-help sprayer or getting the Sprite hand-held filter/sprayer?

7. tyleraman says

Thanks for the great post. I never thought of combining one or more shower filter/head. My questions:

(1) Do you use all three filters/heads in-line (Vit C, Sprite and Oxygenics)? If so, I’m assuming the sprite or vit c can be first or second in-line (does it matter) and then attach the oxygenics?

(2) Do you have an oxygenics head preference? They all seem like they deliver the same qualities to the water – it appears the only difference is look and spray type.

Wow, this is going to be quite the apparatus!
    Thanks for the feedback!

• master says

(1) I’ve added a photo of my current setup to the article. I opted to put the Vitamin C filter after the Sprite, to avoid the possibility of the Vitamin C being removed by the Sprite filter (I’ve heard that the Vitamin C can be absorbed the skin).

(2) I haven’t tested all the Oxygenics, but I’d pay attention to the GPM (gallons per minute) they deliver. Hopefully they all have similar spray pressures.

8. shea says

Thanks for the suggestions. I would like to mimic your set up. Seems pretty easy except the vitamin C inline is sold out. The vendor listed above…would you trust them? there is not contact, email, nothing. I found a website in Australia that sells the Sonaki brand.

They are twice as expensive as the vendor you are showing. Is it worth the $100 and who knows the shipping. Or should I take the risk with this vendor here and pay $50 or so? Also, I have read complaints on the refill cartridges not being as sufficient and the ones that come with the filter. Complaints that they are different. Thanks for the advice.

9. Ali says

Considering the vitamin C filter is the best one, why did you decide to also put in the Sprite filter? And do you recommend this for me? I suffer from chronic eczema, vitiligio and keratosis pilaris (yes, I know). Do you recommend me using both of showeres (considering I’m on a budget, but if there will be a true benefit i dont mind spending on it. Or any other suggestions?

• master says

The Vitamin C filters only remove chlorine, so I added a $16 Culligan shower filter to remove other contaminants in the water. At the time, I could afford to get the Sprite. This filter probably won’t have significant impact on a skin condition. I’d also recommend using aloe vera gel after showering. Hope this helps.

Justin

• master says

For eczema, you probably want the maximum amount of filtration. However, I’d go for a Vitamin C filter first, since chlorine really dries out the skin. Then, after the shower, I’d use some Aloe Gel with minimal additives (aloe with even minor additives irritates my skin).

10. Marty says

Any idea when the redesigned inline vit c will be available…I’ve got the culligan and sprite. I’d like the in line vit c but Im inclined to wait for the redesign..

11. Marty says

Thanks, i tried your link with two different cards they didn’t take either although there both good so I’ll try and look and order somewhere else..if I find a place I’ll let you know…

Marty,

Thanks, let me know if you find a different source, since a lot of readers are interested in finding the in-line filter.

Justin

• Jp says

Thru some digging I understand that carbon filters do not work with warm or typical shower temp water. The carbon removes chlorine from room temp drinking water. The kdf shower filter also has trouble removing chlorine from warm / hot shower.
          What do you think or any input would help in buying ashower filter.
          Ttysoon, Jp

JP,

Your research is correct — once the water reaches the shower, you can generally only remove the chlorine and some sediment. You need to use a whole house filter, if you want to do more complete filtration.

12. Owl says

Would this still work for a rainfall shower head? For square shower head that screws on to the wall fixing? Oh and please update if you do find another source for the product! I’ve only just be enlightened about this and it all makes so much sense, I was attributing a lot to hard water but never thought of the chlorine side. Most informative this article, thank you.

13. Richard Paul says

I found the sprite on ebay with this info:
    “75% chlorine removal after 10,000 gallons of usage”
    So the sprite rating of 20,000 gal is really a lie by any reasonable standards.

• master says

Thanks for reminding me about this brand — it is nice that it’s made in the USA. I’ll have to update include it in my article update.

14. Justin says

First off, very informative reviews!! Thank You. I just have a random question, if we are so concerned about our water, how does one “protect” themselves from the bathroom sink (IE: brushing teeth, washing face, shaving, etc) Any thoughts ?? Thanks in advance…

15. Nads says

The picture of the combined showerheads using te Culligan In-Line Shower Filter and the Sonaki Hand Shower Set Vitamin C Filter is no longer available. Can you advise or post a pic or e-mail me the exact setup for the two intertwined please? Thank you.

16. Karen says

Justin, thanks for this info. Unfortunately, it is impossible to purchase the inline Sonaki filter any longer… I wonder if they just want to offload their more expensive showerhead/vitamin C combos, which are constructed of plastic and are reviewed as short-lived. Do you have any familiarity with the only other two Vitamin C filter options that I’ve found online: Neutra-C (for handhelds only) or Vitashower?

• master says

Technically yes, but the vitamin C is contained in sealed plastic so it would probably be difficult.

17. donna kebea says

Actually I just ordered a handheld inline vitamin c filter and checked to see if the cartridge was sealed. I was able to unscrew the cartridge and open it up. (fantastic)! Now my question is which type of Pharmaceutical grade ascorbic acid do I use, a buffered one and/or 1000mg. It would be so much cheaper to refill this way especially when a refill is upwards of $10.00 each. I guess the best way to determine the residual chlorine would to be a pool water test kit and check the values with the media I using now and with the 1000 mg. vitamin c crystals. Any suggestions/thoughts??

18. Helen says

I need a filter for my shower head to filter well water that is hard and drying out my hair. I have looked at the Sprite you recommend and the Sante filter and I am confused about the KDF for each and the benefits of having more of that in the filter.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Helen

19. Peter says

I have purchased these Vitamin C shower filters and when changing the filter believed they were nothing but a scam. 99.99% of the water will not make contact with the vitamin C. The water flows around the cartridge bypassing the vitamin C altogether. There is a tiny pinprick hole at the top of the cartridge only. Water under the huge pressure will exit the most easiest path which is straight out the shower head. The pin prick hole is enough to keep the vitamin C wet (so it can dissolve and look as if it’s doing a good job).

Unfortunately the only treated water you will get is the initial burst at the start of your shower which probably goes down the drain while you wait for the water to warm up.

Does Vitamin C neutralise Chlorine? Yes. But does the water that exits the Vitamin C shower filter actually treated? I don’t think so. Someone feel free to correct me. I really want a good shower filter, but I was really disappointed when I opened it up to find that none of the water that hit my skin would have gone through the vitamin C

20. Peter says

Ignore my previous post. I had a rep from the company ring me straight away after I sent them an email with my concern and he explained exactly how these work. I am very happy with his explanation, and will be purchasing one again. My initial reasoning was flawed and based on ignorance. So from his explanation I can happily say that these vitamin C shower filters do exactly as they state. :)

21. SukieNYC says

I live in NYC and whenever I leave, my hair looks great after a shower and in NYC it looks terrible. I think it has to do with what is in the water (lots of sediment I believe). Because of the sediment, filters often stop working far quicker than other parts of the country. which one of these filter or any other filter that you would recommend that works better with NYC water (which still makes great pizza and bagels despite this!). Thank you!

• California Girl says

I thought it was just me! I have the same experience. In Los Angeles my naturally curly hair is soft an manageable and upon first wash in Manhattan looks I stuck my hand in a socket and fills like straw. My entire family is dry and itchy. HELP! Have tried Sprite and vitamin C tabs. Both seem to help but I wonder if there is something more needed for sediments. Any suggestions?

Thanks much!

22. Etienne says

Here in canada the sprite filter is around 100 $ , They also sell some cheaper plastic sprite filter . Are those similar and recommended ?
    Thx in advance

• master says

The Sprite filter is good, but there’s not a large difference in result among most shower filters,becuase the water is warm and moving quickly in a showerhead. So I would buy what is reasonably pricedi in Canada. Of course the Vitamin C filters excell at removing chlorine.

23. Peter says

I have purchased 3 filters now and best thing is, they don’t take up much room and look attractive together.

First one is the Sprite brass/chrome one. (same as the above pictures). Then I connected the Rainshow’r ‘New century’ filter, and then the next stage is the Sonaki Vitamin C hand held shower with the waffle head design :) So now I am absolutely confident that I have good water coming out of my shower. Best of all, the pressure is still very good. I also hope that the Sprite filter prolongs the life of the other Rainshow’r filter so I only need to bother changing that one every 2 years (rated life 12-18 months).

I am surprised so few people have heard about shower filters or that they don’t take the health risk claims of bathing in heated chlorinated water seriously. Given that the vitamin C filter alone costs only ~$50 a year, that’s a great investment for your own health and wellbeing.

24. BarlsCharkley says

Hey there, really appreciate all this information and am looking forward to replicated your setup. I was wondering if you’ve seen this filter and if it could be substituted for the Sonaki. I don’t have a hose shower so I’d like it to fit just like you have the Sonaki in your picture.

Link: Neutra-C filter

Thanks!

25. JG says

Justin, thanks a bunch man! Very helpfull. Can you tell me is there a mount or an attachment for the Sonaki handheld shower heads to attach to the shower spout at the top? Or does it somehow attach to the bottom bath spout? thx again for your great write up here.

• Merci says

26. Mark says

Thanks. The info is very informative.
    I am just wondering if anybody tested Santevia shower filter, or aware of any verified results?

• Marty says

Could you give us an update on how long the Heaven Fresh filter lasts, I checked amazon and they are currently not available, $19 on amazon. I also read a review by someone who was repeatedly sent a different refill..To bad the inline filter was apparently discontinued and the other ones seem to get mixed reviews..I would of bought this new one you recommend but the lack of refills and the bad customer service put an end to that, for now..

27. Chad Hummel says

Going off topic. You recommend the 2 shower filter. I was just wondering if youv’e tested the Berkey filter. I have used them for drinking water and they have rave reviews. Just wondering. Thanks.

28. Chad Hummel says

P.s I do not have chlorine. I’m concerned of other groundwater contaminents and rust/iron, bacteria, etc.

29. Gea says

Hi …We have hard city water in the Sacramento area. For the last 3 yrs., we’ve been using a Sante shower filter called “Destroyer” with high KDF. While it helps soften the water, my color treated hair still loses color after showering. I’ve been told by Sante that they have another filter that takes care of the cloramines, in addition to the chlorine, (it’s not Vit. C) and that they’re the only ones with this technology. Do you know about this and is it worth my money to try it, as they don’t offer refunds? Also, do you know what exactly it is in the water that causes the hair color to fade? Chlorine, cloramine, or other minerals? I tried the Sprite filter and it was like using nothing at all ….the color loss was even worse than with the Sante. Thanks in advance ….I’ve worn myself out looking for the right filter system and spent a lot of money in the process.

Gea,

I heard that chloramines can only be removed in the shower with Vitamin C. However, I will look into Sante’s claims.

I do know chlorine causes color to fade — you see it in the swimmers who spend a lot of time in chlorinated pools. So I’d bet its the chloramines or chlorine. You could try an inexpensive Vitamin C filter and see if it works for you.

Justin

30. Lyn says

Any reason why someone couldn’t make a homemade inline unit and then just buy the refill cartridges from Sonaki? The photos of the inline unit do not look like there is much to it, just the housing and the connectors.

The Sonaki handheld units just seem quite pricey for plastic…..

• master says

I thought about that, and I don’t see why you could construct a filter unit yourself. You just need the water to pass across the Vitamin C, for the filter to work.

• Lyn says

Thanks for the reply. We already use a Berkey shower filter, so I’m just looking to reduce chloramines.

The Sonaki handhelds look nice in the photos but I’ve read too many complaints of them cracking or leaking after a couple of months. I’d rather buy a quality handheld and add an inline unit along the hose someplace and just use their cartridges in it.

My father is a plumber (semi-retired) and I’m going to send him some photo’s to see what he can come up with.

I’ll keep you posted if it works.

• master says

Yes, unfortunately the shower filters from Asia have always been dodgy in terms build quality. I wish a reliable manufacturer would produce one here.

• Jude says

Hi Lyn,

Did your plumber father figure anything out? We’re in the middle of trying to concoct something ourselves and would really appreciate any information you may have.

Cheers!

31. Merci says

(I previously posted but got no reply, thanks) Can you break down the best shower setup while using heaven fresh vitamin c filter/shower head. I know with the previous version it was the sprite filter then Sonaki vitamin c filter attached and attach to a low flow shower head.

Merci,

Sorry for the delayed answer.

I believe you should be able to attach the Heaven Fresh Filter to the Sprite Filter and use them in tandem, if you like. I have not tested this setup though.

Justin

32. Brad says

I’m wondering what type of shower filter would work best for cyanobacteria. We live in S. America and our local municipal water supply is starting to have contamination problems with this bacteria caused by blue green algae blooms in the large freshwater lake they use as a primary water supply. Health advisories have been going out to say don’t use the water for showering without filtering. But most filters kdf, ceramic, vitamin C seem more directed against chlorine, sediment, chloramine while the filters with charcoal would seem to have problems of short life span or effectiveness due to not working well with warm/hot water. Any suggestions as to what type of filter(s) would work best against these little buggers?

33. Sarah Cicack says

For some reason I can’t find the picture of your shower setup. I am lost and want to know how to install the neutra-c filter in conjunction with the sprite filter and oxygenics shower head. I understand how the sprite filter and oxygenics shower head go together. What I’m confused about is how the neutra-c filter fits in there. From what I read online, the neutra-c is only compatible with a hand shower head, which the oxygenics is not. I also read that is has to be upright for it to work properly, which also would not work with a normal shower head. Can you please help me figure this out?

Thanks,

Sarah

Sarah,

I can’t get in touch with the Neutra-C manufacturers. They haven’t replied to any of my emails.

At this time, I would recommend a Sprite filter followed by a Vitashower SF-1. The build quality of the Vitashower SF-1 is not good, but it is the only in-line Vitamin C filter available currently (besides the Neutra-C). You could also opt for a Sprite filter followed by a handheld version of the Sonaki showerhead.

Justin

34. Alana says

Hi! Wow, lots of comments to sift through. I’m guessing your 2013 reviews were based on your own skin issues with chlorine and contaminants? Are you still using and liking the Culligan In-Line Shower Filter and the Sonaki Hand Shower Set Vitamin C Filter inserted? I saw the picture. Have no idea how to do that. You could get a job installing these for people! My husband is suffering from serious sebhorreic dermatitis. Itchy, scaly, a little puffy in the hairline and beard area. This started around the time we moved from Brooklyn to the Philly area. We’re thinking it may be the chlorine in the water. My very light asthma symptoms have increased to where I use my inhaler multiple times a day.

Anyway, thought I’d reach out directly in the comment section before dropping cash just to see what your latest recommendations are. Thanks so much! We’re in dire need of a fast solution.

Hi Alana,

I updated my recommendations this week, so the full set-up is a Sprite or Culligan filter, followed by a Vitamin C filter.

Justin

• Alana says

Thanks for the quick reply! Are you a fan of the Heaven Fresh Vit C? It seems to do everything so you wouldn’t need a double filter set-up. And Amazon reviewers seem to like it. Have you tried it?

We’re also considering starting with just one filter before getting fancy.

Thanks again!

35. Brent says

Does the sprite hob-cm filter out voc’s and if not could you attach a filter to the sonakai that does and any recomondations?

Trackbacks

1. [...] Vitamin C shower filters may be a good choice for those looking for an inexpensive way to reduce the chloramine (and chlorine) content of their showers. Vitamin C is an effective dechlorination agent, removing up to 99% of chlorine and chloramine, and vitamin C filters are much less expensive than the whole house filter featured above. The disadvantage to using them is they’re not as durable or effective as a whole house filtration system, and you would need a separate filter for each shower outlet in the house. [...]

2. [...] Vitamin C shower filters may be a good choice for those looking for an inexpensive way to reduce the chloramine (and chlorine) content of their showers. Vitamin C is an effective dechlorination agent, removing up to 99% of chlorine and chloramine, and vitamin C filters are much less expensive than the whole house filter featured above. The disadvantage to using them is they’re not as durable or effective as a whole house filtration system, and you would need a separate filter for each shower outlet in the house. [...]